Time To Call A Child Custody Lawyer

Some couples work out the parenting arrangements after a divorce or break-up between themselves. However, matters dealing with minor-aged children are often far too important to leave to novices. The following circumstances are far from uncommon when a relationship ends. In many cases, both you and the other parent will need a lawyer. Even uncontested divorces can mean a need for legal advice and support. While it's helpful if you both can agree on child custody and visitation matters, you never know when some of the below issues will crop up. If your spouse has a lawyer then you need one, too.

You and the other parent live in separate states 

Child custody laws can vary by the state but the child's state of residence is used to rule on court matters. Once you get other states involved, things can get complex very quickly. If you are the recipient of a child custody or visitation order from another state, speak to a family law attorney immediately.

The other parent is acting like a lone wolf 

Shared legal responsibility means that both parents make decisions about important issues together. If your ex is making religious, health, education, and other decisions on their own, you may need to take action and speak to a lawyer.

Allegations have been made against you 

You could end up losing not only custody but visitation rights if your ex can show that you are a drug abuser, alcoholic, child abuser, or criminal. This is a serious matter and needs your immediate attention. Your past can come back to haunt you if you have ever been convicted of a crime, ordered to get treatment, and more.

Access to your child has been cut off 

At times, it might not be possible to see your child as arranged. However, a pattern of canceled visits might mean your ex is trying to alienate you from your child. Keep records of all such instances and speak to an attorney at once.

Your ex is unable to perform custodial duties 

If your ex is incapacitated, seriously ill, incarcerated, or has passed away, don't just assume that custody will automatically pass to you. Judges may place the child with grandparents or others if you don't seek custody.

Your child appears to be in danger 

While unproven allegations are to be avoided, don't be idle if you fear your child is in danger. Gather proof (police reports, photographs, witnesses) and speak to a lawyer.

If things are not going well with your custody situation, it might be time to call on a family lawyer in your area for help.